Teachers & Administrators
- Orange County Public Schools has 22,176 employees comprised of: 12,400 teachers, 870 district and school level administrators, 8,042 classified positions (school bus drivers, cafeteria and janitorial workers, etc...), and 864 part time positions.1
- 573 of Orange County’s teachers have earned certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, the profession’s highest credential.1
- 42% of Orange County’s teachers hold an advanced degree in the form of either a Masters degree or a Doctorate degree.1
- The starting salary for an Orange County teacher in 2008-2009 was $37,000, second lowest among Florida’s seven largest urban school districts.4
- The average salary for all Orange County school district teachers in 2007-2008 was $44,668, with an additional $14,512 in benefits (retirement contribution, health insurance, life insurance, FICA, and other benefits), for an average cost of $59,180 per teacher.1
- After 15 years, an Orange County classroom teacher’s salary in 2007-2008 was $45,600.2Orange County guidance counselors, librarians, and school psychologists all earn substantially more than experienced classroom teachers.3
- The top salary an Orange County classroom teacher could earn in 2007-2008 was $61,560.2
- The average salary for an assistant principal in Orange County is $65,870.3
- The average salary for an Orange County Principal is $86,160.3
- Orange County’s Superintendent of Schools earns $280,6993
- Orange County School Board members earn $40,932 for what is intended to be a part time position.
1 2008-2009 Pocket Facts, Orange County Public Schools, found at www.ocps.net.
2 2007-2008 Annual Report, Orange County Public Schools.
3 Education In Formation & Accountability Services Data Reports, Found at http://www.teachinflorida.com/Recruitment/FloridaTeacherSalaries/tabid/77/Default.aspx.